Did you wake up this morning feeling anxious about the day? Most of us do. It seems that worry is the disease of the 21st century. It is like a pandemic and is particularly rampant in western society. However, if you read the Bible you will see that even back in Jesus’ time people worried. Jesus actually spoke to people about worrying. In Matthew 6: 25-34 Jesus addresses this topic of worry.
So what are some tools that we can use to help us to stop worrying?
1. Focus on things of value: Jesus said, “Life is more important than food.” Jesus wasn’t saying that eating was not important, but that our focus should be on things of value. Stop worrying about money, promotion, reputation and stuff. Focus on things of value.
2. Realize that God values you: Do you understand how important you are to God? Jesus said to the crowd that each person was significantly more valuable to God than all of His creation. When you realize that you are important to God and He cares about you, your life takes on a whole new meaning.
3. Accept your humanity: There are things you cannot do. Don’t try to do God’s job, let God take care of the planet.
4. Worry does not make life better: Jesus said worry would not add a moment to your life. Worrying will not enrich your life in any way. In fact, if anything it will deplete your life and rob you of joy.
5. God is there for you: As you read this portion of Scripture in Matthew 6 you are aware that God loves you. He cares about you. You are valuable to Him. He wants your life to succeed. God is not out to get you! God want to bless your life. He is so much bigger than you are; He is so much cleverer than you. Entrust yourself to His care – it is a safe place to be.
6. Seek His Kingdom first: Jesus ends by saying that if we seek His Kingdom then all these things will be added to us. As you place God first, as you seek Him, He will take care of the details of your life. Focus on God and you will find strength and peace filling your life.
And so my friend, if your heart is full of worry today, you are not alone. Throughout the ages people have worried. However, Jesus said that worry would not add a moment more to your life. If anything worry only makes life unpleasant. So as you begin this day why not focus on the things that are important. Remind yourself that you are important to God – He cares about you. Accept your limitations and give your anxieties over to Him. He cares for you.
My prayer is that as you face this day your worries will dissipate. As you focus on God and His incredible love for you, I pray that you will hand your worries over to Him and have a blessed day.
I am and always will be,
Recklessly abandoned, ruthlessly committed and in relentless pursuit of Jesus,