It is Monday morning; the sun has risen to a brand new day. The sunrise on the Plains of North Dakota is stunning. This morning the sky was an ocean of peach colored waves that filtered through smoky grey clouds tinged with lavender. I stopped, paused and listened. Birds were singing and as waves of light filtered through my window it filled me with hope for a new day.
We live in a hurting world filled with sadness. Everyday bad things happen, people die and tragedies occur. But in the midst of all this hopelessness there can be profound hope. Hebrews chapter 11: 1 says, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” This hope the Bible speaks about is not simply wishful thinking; it is a certain hope, a sure knowledge.
So if you have been facing a challenge, a trial, a tragedy or a circumstance that caught you totally off guard then this Scripture verse is for you. Here are a few thoughts to help you through this day.
1. God knows all about your situation: Nothing ever takes God by surprise. Situations may alarm you, but God is never taken by surprise.
2. The sun will shine again: Even if you cannot imagine it, the sun will shine in your soul again. The Bible says, “Weeping endures for the night, but joy comes in the morning.” Perhaps you have suffered a failed relationship, or you received bad news about your health, or worse still, you have lost someone dear and near to you. Right now it feels as if everything is folding around you, but the sun will shine again.
3. Don’t lose your trust in humanity: There will always be bad people in this world, but I am sure you are also aware right now of the many good people there are in this world. Focus on the good people not the bad people.
4. Keep your faith in God: God has not forsaken you, even if you do not feel Him He is still there. Have faith that He will see you through.
5. Live with an eternal perspective: Life is short. We are not on this earth forever. One day all of us will breathe our final breath. Live your life well, make it count and live with the sure knowledge that there is life beyond the grave.
My prayer is that God will encourage your heart today and that you will feel His grace and peace surrounding you. Keep trusting and hoping in the God who made you, who loves you and who has a good future for you.
I am and always will be,
Recklessly abandoned, ruthlessly committed and in relentless pursuit of Jesus,