One of my favorite Christmas songs is the well known; "Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright." The problem is that Christmas is more often too busy, noisy and frenetic.
I think Christmas should be a time for the family to gather together, share memories, reflect together, and remind each other of the real meaning of Christmas. We tend to rush from party to party, eat way too much and spend more money than is necessary.
My prayer is that you will take some time over this Christmas season to contemplate the real meaning of Christmas. Of course, Christmas should be fun and filled with laughter, however, it should be a time to:
- Share with those who are needy: There are so many people out there who are heartbroken, hungry and desperate. Perhaps this Christmas we could reach out to some needy and lonely person. Take time to be silent and ask God to show you who you can minister to at this time.
- Reflect on the past year: Use this season as a time to reflect on the year that is coming to an end. Ask God to help you as you face the challenges of a new year.
- Spend meaningful time with family: Share time together appreciating each other. Take time to affirm each other...play together, laugh together and be sure to pray together.
- Take some time to be still: Don't only sing 'silent night' practice being still and quiet.
- Remember to have fun: Jesus does want us to have joy in abundance, make sure you do have lots of wholesome fun.
Remember to be quiet and still for a few moments during this Christmas season. Allow the Prince of Peace to fill your heart during this special time. My prayer is that this will be the most special Christmas for you and yours.
I am and always will be,
recklessly abandoned, ruthlessly committed and in relentless pursuit of Jesus,