I haven't blogged for quite some time—not because of a lack of desire...I have been moving home, been in Mexico, and had a bout of vertigo. But I am back!
When you are not well, you have a lot of time to reflect and to pray. I have been pondering God's word, and the older I grow the more I love His word and find myself becoming more and more dependent upon God and His word.
Here are 9 simple reasons why I read my Bible everyday.
1. I become more acquainted with Jesus: The more I read the Bible the deeper the insight I have into Jesus. I get to know Him more intensely through the pages of His word and He challenges me on a daily basis to be more like Him.
2. His word gives me hope in every situation: No matter what confronts me, I have this certain hope that God is with me and He will see me through. His word anchors me in the storms of life and gives me courage when my own strength is failing.
3. His word gives me peace: When it looks as if the world is falling apart, His word comforts me. As Colossians 1: 17 says, "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Knowing that He holds the universe in His hands is a balm to me.
4. His word deals with sin in my life: The Bible confronts sin head on. When I read God's word I become acutely aware of where I am failing and sinning and I know I have to deal with those areas of my life. In God's own gentle way He prods me to repent of my sin.
5. His word gives me direction: When I read the book of Proverbs, and many of the Psalms I see how God orders my steps. If I need wisdom and direction for a situation I find God's word enlightening. He orders my steps and that gives me security.
6. His word encourages me to grow: As I get to know Jesus through the Bible He encourages me to grow in my spiritual walk. I don't want to be in the same place I was this time last year. I want my faith to grow and I want to learn to depend more and more upon Jesus.
7. His word helps me in all my relationships: I only need to read the Bible to discover how much wisdom I can gain for navigating my relationships.
8. His word teaches me how to pray: I love to spend time talking to God, telling Him how great He is, how much I love Him and need Him. I read the Bible and it shows me how to pray.
9. His word makes me love Him more: The more I read the Bible, the more I love my Jesus.
So my friend, these are the reasons why I read my Bible every day. There is simply no better way to start your day than reading God's precious word. I encourage you today, start reading God's word it will enrich you at every level.
I am and always will be,
recklessly abandoned, ruthlessly committed and in relentless pursuit of Jesus,