I sometimes think the political scene in the USA resembles a circus. Listening to our two political candidates tearing each other apart and then suggesting their solutions to the problems of this nation can leave me feeling quite disheartened. We have challenges that face us as a nation and we need to be thinking and praying about those things. I know we can sometimes feel overwhelmed at what is happening around us.
Babies in the womb are murdered on a daily basis. No compassion or thought is given to the unborn child.
Racism, injustice, and systemic prejudice are dividing communities and creating havoc in our nation.
In Chicago, there have been more than three hundred homicides this year.
Gender confusion has devolved to new levels at an alarming rate.
Young girls are being trafficked into sex slavery. The global human trafficking industry is estimated to be a $31 billion industry annually and it does not seem to be abating.
Yes, our problems are great. But I still have hope for this great nation. In John 17:15-17 Jesus, before going back to His father prayed for us to be protected from evil. He asks God to help his followers to navigate the challenges of the world in which they live.
So here is my challenge to Christ followers who have lost hope in the midst of the current political furor.
- Pray for our nation: Romans 13:1 reminds me that no authority is there without it being instituted by God. And then 1 Timothy 2:1-15 urges us to pray for all those in authority.
- Believe in our nation: I am saddened by the skepticism and the downright criticism we display on a daily basis. I am not American born, but I am so thankful for this nation and the opportunities and freedoms I have living here. I believe that God has a great future for this nation and I will not allow myself to be pulled into the mire of negativity and hatred that some people display for this county.
- Love our nation: That should be the most identifiable characteristic of every Christ follower. We should love the people of our land. We don't have to agree with their life styles to love them. Of all people, we should be filled with compassion and show kindness to everyone.
- Speak positively about our nation: Let us quit the negativity and allow our language to be hope filled.
- Remember who the enemy is: Ephesians 6:12 is a great reminder that our enemy is not people but Satan. We fight not against flesh and blood but against spiritual darkness.
- Remind yourself who is in control: Colossians
- 1:17 tells us: "He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." If Washington was the hope for this nation that is exactly where I would want to be. It is not! Jesus is the hope for this nation and it is only as His people shine that light will come back to our broken country.
If you have lost hope in this amazing nation I want to encourage you today. God is in control. He loves the people of this land. He has a plan for our nation and we should desire to be a part of that redemptive plan. Let's put on hope and believe that this nation still has a great future in the coming years.
I am and always will be,
recklessly abandoned, ruthlessly committed and in relentless pursuit of Jesus,