I have been looking at pictures of my grandchildren four years ago and it has made me feel a little sad because I am reminded that time waits for no one.
You probably feel like I did on January 1st, 2017 and wondered where 2016 had gone. It reminds me how important it is for us to seize the day and ensure that we live life to the full.
I know that many of you reading my blog have made some sort of resolution for 2017. It may even be that you have already given up. I am certainly not one for making resolutions on the first day of the year. I think it is important to see each day as a new one, a new opportunity, and a fresh start. The first of January is no different for me than the first of June or July or any other month for that matter.
However, as we approach a new year, Paul and I always try to think about what the year holds and how we will navigate the challenges and opportunities presented. The word 'unexpected' came to me for this year. I suppose in essence every year will have 'unexpected' surprises, challenges and blessings. But how do we govern our lives between the routine of daily life and the unexpected moments that can change everything?
I love Psalm 65:11 "You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance." A lovely verse with a sweet promise. However, God can crown our year with bounty, but there can still be challenges along the way. There can be, and for some, may have already been some unexpected surprise, blessing or even challenge.
So how do we navigate 2017? How do we handle the unexpected?
- Commit every day to the Lord: You don't commit the year to the Lord and then move on with life. No, you need to commit each and every day to the Lord and trust Him for each new one. I do believe that God gives us grace for each day. We are told in God's Word not to worry about tomorrow, but to live this day. In 2017 determine to live each day to the full.
- Pray for God's blessing: Paul and I pray for the blessing of God on a daily basis. Does that mean our days are without challenge? Certainly not. But when the challenges come we know that God is walking beside us. Just because we face challenges and trials does not mean that God has removed His blessings from us.
- Keep dreaming God-sized dreams: If the unexpected comes as a trial out of nowhere you don't have to give up on your dream. What you need to do is focus on getting through your trial and believe that 'joy comes in the morning.' Keep dreaming and living and believing.
- Never give up: Don't give up my friend. Whatever comes in 2017 please keep living, believing, trusting and hoping. God is with you and will see you through.
- Live each day with trust in your God: Whatever the day, week, month or year holds, I encourage you to put your utmost trust in the Lord. It is He who will sustain you through the good times and the bad times. He is God, He will never abandon you.
Happy New Year my friend. May it be a year filled with blessing and unexpected serendipity. Keep your eyes on Jesus. I don't know what 2017 will bring, but I do know that He will never leave you or forsake you.
I am and always will be,
recklessly abandoned, ruthlessly committed and in relentless pursuit of Jesus